SOCK5 - cannot access any hubs

If you got some trouble or need help configuring AirDC++, we're here to help

SOCK5 - cannot access any hubs

Postby waxweazle » 30 Jun 2018, 01:38

Recently purchased VPN and got SOCKS5 support with it.
Filled in all info that I have for it (IP + port & login info) in AirDC but I cannot access any hubs.
My hubs won't connect and give no specific error message, just "Connection closed".

Any idea what to do to fix this?
waxweazle

Re: SOCK5 - cannot access any hubs

Postby maksis » 30 Jun 2018, 10:14

Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with SOCK5. Could test if it works with DC++ or some other client?
maksis
Site Admin

Postby waxweazle » 30 Jun 2018, 14:01

I tried it with AirDC++ and that's the issue I have. I cannot connect to any hubs - I don't get any error messages at all, just "connection closed".

I don't have other applications that I use that have a SOCKS5 option.. Any idea what I can do to figure out how to get it to work? Or anybody who knows what to do?
waxweazle

Postby maksis » 30 Jun 2018, 14:28

waxweazle wrote:I tried it with AirDC++ and that's the issue I have. I cannot connect to any hubs - I don't get any error messages at all, just "connection closed".

That's why I'd like you to try it also with other clients (DC++ and maybe ApexDC++). Knowing whether the issue happens only with AirDC++ or with every other client as well is somewhat important.
maksis
Site Admin

Postby waxweazle » 30 Jun 2018, 16:27

Gotcha.
Tested both;
ApexDC++ stays hanging on "connecting to ...".
DC++ does the same thing - it goes straight to "connection closed".

Without the SOCKS5 activated, both connect with no issue.
waxweazle

Postby maksis » 30 Jun 2018, 18:20

There's actually a similar existing bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/dcplusplus/+bug/988891

You could post a comment to that report stating your issue and maybe someone more familiar with SOCK5 will respond. Have you managed to use that SOCK5 server with any other app (just to know that the server really is working)?
maksis
Site Admin

Postby waxweazle » 30 Jun 2018, 22:19

I have not had any need for the SOCKS5 server to be used in any other application.
I wouldn't know what app I can use to test if it works.

Currently ran into another issue where I can only connect to one of my hubs when my VPN is active - however with my VPN active I cannot download, search or anything.. So obviously there's no use in that..
waxweazle

Return to The Help Desk