Don´t search for Update Option

If you got some trouble or need help configuring AirDC++, we're here to help

Don´t search for Update Option

Postby Sir_BadEnglish » 28 Sep 2015, 20:16

hi,
Where can i switch off the automatic search for new versions in the client Version 2.91?

The developers released a new Version this afternoon, and everything crashed on my side since a small window popped up after starting the Programm. All of my automatic macros crashed. It takes a lot of time to develop them, so please give me a chance to keep them!
Sir_BadEnglish

Re: Don´t search for Update Option

Postby maksis » 28 Sep 2015, 20:24

There's no option to turn off the version check but you aren't forced to update either
maksis
Site Admin

Postby Sir_BadEnglish » 28 Sep 2015, 21:02

I Am! There ist a Small window called "Update check" that pops up on every start of the Programm!
This window fucks up everything! Is it possible to block it somehow?
Sir_BadEnglish

Postby Sir_BadEnglish » 28 Sep 2015, 21:24

And what happens if you decide that the update should be forced? Then the scripts are not working anymore from one minute to the other?

Does it help to block the IP of the update server? To what IP is it connecting??

Damn i was swimmimng today, came totally relaxed home, and then this. Now i cannot sleep anymore. Thank you! At least i hope it helps a lot of people or make them happy when they are not able to disable the update check.
Sir_BadEnglish

Postby Night » 28 Sep 2015, 21:46

Just update, some of the versions will eventually be blocked and a forced update is needed, the client versions are not different clients which you should decide on what you want to use. Some of the versions contain security updates and features that require the other side to support them or otherwise you are breaking functionality for someone else, the client will notify about updates and you can ignore them for a while and update when it suits you.
What is the point for us to make new versions otherwise?
Night
Site Admin

Postby maksis » 28 Sep 2015, 21:50

How are your scripts integrated to the client? There's a scripting API being develop for AirDC++ already.

The update check has been as it is for a very long time. You'll get rid of the notifications by blocking the update server but I'd rather not discuss about it further on this forum.
maksis
Site Admin

Postby Sir_BadEnglish » 28 Sep 2015, 21:54

I CANNOT UPDATE!
This would cost me some full weekends of developing my macros! And I have to work, this will cost some month! And then you come with the next version? This will not work!
Can you PM me a workaround?
Sir_BadEnglish

Postby Sir_BadEnglish » 28 Sep 2015, 21:56

And what if i update, and the next version comes? Then there will be again a window that fucks averything up?
Sir_BadEnglish

Postby maksis » 28 Sep 2015, 22:00

Sir_BadEnglish wrote:And what if i update, and the next version comes? Then there will be again a window that fucks averything up?

I'd assume that the API is ready by then and you can write scripts that won't be messed up by update notifications ;)
maksis
Site Admin

Postby Night » 28 Sep 2015, 22:01

Stable versions get released 1 -3 a year usually that shouldnt be too much.
Night
Site Admin

Postby Sir_BadEnglish » 28 Sep 2015, 22:08

yeah, so DC++ is mostly dead, and what are you doing? Fuck on the rest on your users. I have a real Problem here, everything is fucked up!
Even Windows and Google gives you the choice not to update, and you say no discussions. WOW, after years I´m very dissapointed.
Sir_BadEnglish

Postby maksis » 28 Sep 2015, 22:12

Sir_BadEnglish wrote:yeah, so DC++ is mostly dead, and what are you doing? Fuck on the rest on your users. I have a real Problem here, everything is fucked up!

You are the first one writing about such issue and I still don't understand that what kind of integrations you have to the client. AirDC has never been targeted for scripters as there are better alternatives for that.

Sir_BadEnglish wrote:Even Windows and Google gives you the choice not to update, and you say no discussions. WOW, after years I´m very dissapointed.

Windows 10 won't give you any choice (and I'm not aware that Google Chrome would give that either)
maksis
Site Admin

Postby Sir_BadEnglish » 28 Sep 2015, 22:18

and it was working! I front of my eyes. I got a lot of PM´s due to that feature. It costs me a lot of days to develop, but anyway: It was working 24/7.
And then your update window came, and i know now that it will only run when you are not updating, otherwise it will leave a mess. WOW.
So is this the first Project i have to give up AFTER it was working?
Sir_BadEnglish

Postby Night » 29 Sep 2015, 06:45

I still fail to see what kind of scripts you would be running that would be broken by a client version change.
There will be updates and they will be notified, and some old versions even forced to update.
But if its the update dialog that is somehow blocking, im open to ideas about different ways to notify updates.
We cannot even consider your issue because you havent told anything about it and how the problem is caused.
Night
Site Admin

Postby Sir_BadEnglish » 10 Oct 2015, 11:46

Sorry for the late answer.

First of all: Bocking the DNS of the update server by modifying the "hosts" file in "..\System32\drivers\etc" works. The notification that the update progress fails shows up in the system log, where those messages should be.

Night wrote:I still fail to see what kind of scripts you would be running that would be broken by a client version change.

See this programm --> https://www.jitbit.com/macro-recorder/
It just automates the mouse and keyboard. If AirDC reacts different only one time, the macros don´t mind since they get no feedback from the programm or windows. Then they can delete everything e.g. if they push delete and then enter in the wrong window.
This is how you are working in an almost dead scene. I tryed a lot before using this solution. There are no coders anymore that can help with scrips for DC++. The available scrips out there are mostly not working with the current versions of the hubsoft / client / lua interface. There are mostly no descriptions for the scripting interfaces and how to setup a script and so on.

And in general i don´t like forced updates that change the way you use a software. Bugfixes that don´t change functions are ok. For example: If you are running Win7, the updates you´ll get nearly daily all mostly ok since the don´t change the way you are using this machine (at least in the perfect world). But an automatic update to Win8 would be fatal since you cannot use your machine anymore. The "Start" Button is missing. Then someone else makes the decission that you cannot use your machine in your living room anymore with your actual knowledge from one minute to the other? Maybe you have stress/ problems or whatever, someone else decides that you have to learn how to use a PC without a start button NOW? OR in a month or two? So there are reasons why Microsoft don´t force to update from Win 7 to 8 or 10. They don´t force any update, since windows won´t be usable when it would restart automatically due to an update as an example.
Sir_BadEnglish

Postby Night » 11 Oct 2015, 10:24

So, basicly your issue with the update is the dialog itself only? or the fact that the dialog is a blocking dialog which allways has focus and is ontop. It could be changed so it can be hidden or left in the backround, but maybe that will still be bad for you since it still shows up on startup.

Some other way could be used about notify the updates than the dialog, something like a popup maybe.
Night
Site Admin

Postby Sir_BadEnglish » 13 Oct 2015, 18:10

If nothing will pop up and happen when it don´t find the update server (like it is now), i´m fine.

I would vote for an Option like the one before: "don´t announce new AirDC++ versions (version.xml is still downloaded)"
Maybe with the addition that the new versions are still announced in the system log (as the last message on startup, then you can read it in the status bar, too).
Sir_BadEnglish

Postby Vort » 01 Aug 2019, 07:05

Night wrote:Just update, some of the versions will eventually be blocked and a forced update is needed, the client versions are not different clients which you should decide on what you want to use.

It's a user's PC, not yours.
So it is for user to decide which version he likes and to which servers he want to make connections.
Night wrote:Some of the versions contain security updates

And user configuration may be not affected by the problem.
Night wrote:and features that require the other side to support them or otherwise you are breaking functionality for someone else

There will always be people with other clients.
So support for misbehaving clients should be implemented anyway.
Night wrote:the client will notify about updates and you can ignore them for a while and update when it suits you.

User may need to ignore them forever. There may be many reasons for it.
Night wrote:What is the point for us to make new versions otherwise?

Point is to make better versions.
Which will be awaited by users.
And accepted with gratitude.
Instead of pushing them against user's will.
Vort

Postby Vort » 01 Aug 2019, 08:12

Here is the solution with updates disabling for users, who do not want to edit their "hosts" file.
Just replace "version.airdcpp.net", "beta.airdcpp.net" and "builds.airdcpp.net" inside "AirDC.exe" with ASCII zeroes in hex editor (any will fit):
adcvd.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vort

Return to The Help Desk