[FIXED] 2.40 x86-64 (0.802) ADL Search + Digital Signature

If you find any bugs, please post in here. Bugs in the Linux version should be reported on Github.

[FIXED] 2.40 x86-64 (0.802) ADL Search + Digital Signature

Postby DaWolfman » 03 Jan 2013, 19:18

Hi,

1. First, I should note I was unable to do an easy upgrade from AirDC in 2.30 (i.e. AirDC would not detect if their was an upgrade for my version). So, I manually downloaded the new installer and installed 2.40. The issue continues for me in 2.40 with this error: "[12:49:23] Failed to check for new version: Could not download the digital signature (Connection timeout (http://version.airdcpp.net/version.xml.sign))"

2. The issue with ADL search is the add-box. Once I click I 'ADD' in ADL Search, the box appears on-screen at about 1/4th the width of the normal size. At this size and unable to resize the form, the buttons for OK and CANCEL are hidden, leaving me trapped in AirDC and forcing me to close the program through task manager.

Included pics below:

DaWolfman

Re: 2.40 x86-64 (0.802) ADL Search + Digital Signature Fail

Postby maksis » 03 Jan 2013, 21:30

1. This may happen if you use Avast antivirus/firewall
2. Is your font size larger than normal or is there something else special with your configuration (like the Windows theme or applications changing its appearance)? You may also use Alt+F4 to avoid the closing problem.
maksis
Site Admin

Postby DaWolfman » 04 Jan 2013, 00:51

1. Spot on. I disabled Avast, and the version appeared right away in the About section.

2. Nothing that I'm aware of. I'm not using any special them outside of what's offered within the OS. I had no problems with it in 2.30 as well. Let me know if I can be of more help to figure it out, because I really enjoy that feature of AirDC.
DaWolfman

Postby maksis » 04 Jan 2013, 11:59

http://beta.airdcpp.net/AutoSearchDlg.7z

Could you try if this version makes any difference with the auto search windows?
maksis
Site Admin

Postby DaWolfman » 05 Jan 2013, 07:28

*UPDATE* .... RE-INSTALLING 2.3 AND UPGRADING DID NOT WORK.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No such luck... :(

I'm gonna try to re-install 2.30, and see if updating through the program makes any difference. I don't know what else to try. If I don't reply back that it worked by tomorrow, assume it didn't...

DaWolfman

Postby maksis » 05 Jan 2013, 12:22

Please try this one: http://beta.airdcpp.net/AutoSearchDlg2.7z

If it still doesn't work, you could also see if disabling the Aero theme from Windows makes any difference.
maksis
Site Admin

Postby DaWolfman » 05 Jan 2013, 18:45

Sorry maksis... I appreciate you trying, but again, no luck. Tried the new version with Aero on and without aero (using Windows 7 Basic Theme). Aside from making the graphics look awful, it did nothing to change the window size.

Also FYI, when opening similar pop-up windows (i.e. Favorite Hubs 'Manage Groups'), the window opens just fine with 100% viewing space.

DaWolfman

Postby en_dator » 05 Jan 2013, 19:27

DaWolfman wrote:1. First, I should note I was unable to do an easy upgrade from AirDC in 2.30 (i.e. AirDC would not detect if their was an upgrade for my version). So, I manually downloaded the new installer and installed 2.40. The issue continues for me in 2.40 with this error: "[12:49:23] Failed to check for new version: Could not download the digital signature (Connection timeout (http://version.airdcpp.net/version.xml.sign))"

Hi DaWolf

I promised I should write a small guide how to solve the failing update check issue and here is the short-short version. There will be a better one later with pics (I have not figured out how to un-fix it in order to take proper snaps yet :))

Well as maksis said before its the antivirus program thats blocking it on the pc, and in the case of Avast its extra annoying because it will not log anything at all about the blocks, this also makes it difficult to setup Avast to allow AirDC++ to check for updates.

But I did find a trick to make it work:

As you are already running the latest version we can't use the upgrade trick to make it work, but doing it manually should work just as well.

The trick is to make windows (and the antivirus program) know that you got the file off of internet - because then Avast will popup a box to ask you what you want to do with the file.

In that popup you simply choose "Run this program normally" and tick the box to remember the choice. (you probably have seen this box already since Avast likes to popup that at times.

Now, to get that popup you need to have avast running and enabled, and download the binary archive from sourceforge, using your webbroser and without any download managers, then again using the windows explorer unpack the archive and just run it from wherever you unpacked it to. Avast should now popup that box, avter ticking that you can shut AirDC++ down and move the new AirDC.exe + AirDC.pdb into your existing AirDC++ folder.

After this everything should work as normal.

/1d

(the update trick only works if there is an update to run, but it is similar, the difference is that you disable the webshield in Avast while doing the update check, then when the check is made you enable it again, and then you click the download button in the AirDC++ update dialogue - then when the update is downloaded Avast will ask permission to run it - and there are that popup box again where you need to allow it to run normally)
ÜndèrGrøund® Ñètwø®k - FlexHub - AirDC++
Because the world never was the same, and never will have been http://xkcd.com/394/
en_dator
Site Admin

Postby maksis » 05 Jan 2013, 20:03

And about the dialog problem....

The auto search dialog is different than other dialogs in the client, since the window size is set dynamically when you open it. That's because the auto search dialog includes "Advanced" settings that are hidden by default so that the view wouldn't look so messy.

When you set the window size dynamically, also the borders and the title bar of that window must be included in the size. Because the size of the borders and the title bar differs by Windows version (and the theme being used), the client must ask that information from the operating systems. Obviously your operating system thinks that the dialog has no borders or title bar and you see the result there. I don't know why it seems to have worked for everyone else.

I've made a third version that specifically tells the operating system that the window really has borders and a title bar and then the operating system only needs to give the sizes for those... Please test it: http://beta.airdcpp.net/AutoSearchDlg3.7z
maksis
Site Admin

Postby DaWolfman » 05 Jan 2013, 21:24

endator:

Thanks for that info. I appreciate it.

maksis:

SMH.... :? nope. (photo below)

Just in case you're wondering, the OS is Windows 7 Service Pack 1. I'm checking now for any necessary updates to the OS, but I dont see much.

DaWolfman

Postby maksis » 05 Jan 2013, 22:17

Obviously my thoughts about the reason were wrong in the previous post.

I checked the size of the actual dialog from your image (that excludes the borders) and it's 585x250 pixels. That's exactly the size that it should be. I also checked the pixels of your favorite hub group dialog (544x502), while the correct size should be 465x406. This clearly suggest that your operating systems makes the dialogs larger than what they should be...

I tried changing my font size to 125% and this is what I got:

auto_search.png

While the normal is:

auto_search2.png

I think you didn't actually check your font size in Windows? I just got a new monitor on this week with a bigger resolution so I'm currently a bit lost with estimating sizes from pictures :p
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maksis
Site Admin

Postby maksis » 06 Jan 2013, 14:31

Here's a version that will handle larger font sizes: http://beta.airdcpp.net/AirDC_2.40_LargeFonts.7z
maksis
Site Admin

Postby DaWolfman » 07 Jan 2013, 05:58

maksis,

You're absolutely right. I did not think to check my font size. I only checked the theme. As you can see from the pic below, the window opens 100%.

Thanks for correcting this fast. I'll download the new version and let you know how it goes. I'm squinting at the screen right now, so I wouldn't able to keep the text this small :lol:
DaWolfman

Postby DaWolfman » 07 Jan 2013, 06:29

THUMBS UP! It's working... :D
DaWolfman

Return to Bug Reports