[EXTENSIONS] Blocking segmented downloads

Add your feature request here

[EXTENSIONS] Blocking segmented downloads

Postby 4C3T » 25 Oct 2020, 01:25

Hi.
I'm wondering why segmented downloads can't be blocked (meaning me as an uploader) in non ADC-hubs?
Wouldn't it be relatively easy for the program itself since it obviously keeps track of connected IP's and active uploads?
"Relatively" meaning, for a programmer.

As for the vanilla-people out there, I'd recommend having this setting at "Off" as default.
In the old days, like DC's inception when Internet connections were slow I could see the benefits of having this setting, but today it's murder on a HDD if/when one's connected to multiple hubs, and some schmuck are connected to some, if not all of the same hubs.
Also, it's taking up slots, therefor hindering others.

I also realize that DC is not as active as it once were, so not many are still developing hubsofts anymore, and the existing ones are either unusable due to updated OS's or the scripts are either not supported, unusable or heavily outdated, so I can only see the clients being the solution for this problem.

Even if there are a few hubsofts out there that support the ADC standards, good luck convincing hub owners to swap them out!
4C3T

Re: Blocking segmented downloads

Postby maksis » 25 Oct 2020, 16:51

I'm not sure if this is more about blocking segmented uploads or restricting the number of connections per user, but...

This has been discussed before: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=328&p=1917 (and there are more topics about this for other clients as well)

4C3T wrote:Even if there are a few hubsofts out there that support the ADC standards, good luck convincing hub owners to swap them out!

All the hubs I'm staying in are using ADC and no new NMDC features will be implemented in AirDC++.
maksis
Site Admin

Postby 4C3T » 25 Oct 2020, 21:03

Well, none of those guys mentioned, as far as I could see, quickly scrolling down, anything about thrashing of drives as one reason Not to allow segmented downloads, which is my main concern.

I'm a generous person and I would like to share my stuff, but it's only fair that others get the chance too, which is one of the downsides to allowing segmented downloads in the first place.
Earlier today I kicked one of the threads, only to have another user already connected, doing the same thing.
Frustrating to say the least.

Many people, most in fact, just starts to download something, usually a batch of files, then leave it churning and seldom check the progress, as it would seem. So most of the times when I ask them to shut this off, it falls on deaf ears with no replies.
Some are hit-n-runners too, so they snag what they can, then leave.
My file server right now, is under heavy load, particularly if left for a few weeks without rebooting it, gets slower, as we all know computers does. Needless to say, it's running Windows.
Nonetheless, that's the way its gotta be, at the moment so that all my computers can access it, and Linux has some trouble networking with various versions of Windows-clients.

Anyway, the drives in the server uses a single PCIe 1x slot with SATA multiplier cards so it gets cramped sometimes, but the main issue is still the thrashing of the drives, when a single user is downloading the same file in several instances, at the same time as others are trying to download other things.
It's one thing if the user has a low connection of a few KB/sec, but when it's upwards 500 KB/sek/instance, the drives aren't happy and I start getting all sorts of errors in the Hard Disk Sentinel Program, which monitors the disks, and overall traffic become slower between the drives and the host controller, which leads to a drop in performance.

As for the linked posts, none came to any definite solution, and the end-link on that page was about ADC hubs as the only way to deal with this.

Many hubs don't use these software's, myself included. Thinking of switching, but it's Linux, so... Not quite there yet, but thinking about it.

That would take care of that problem for my users, but the problem remains on the other hubs to which I wish to remain connected to.
4C3T

Postby maksis » 26 Oct 2020, 08:38

If someone really needs to have something like this, it's possible to write an extension for it. See the API documentation for more information (there's an event listener for started transfers, a disconnect method and so on). The next AirDC version will also have a tab for installing and managing the extensions, but for now you need to use the Web UI.

4C3T wrote:Many hubs don't use these software's, myself included. Thinking of switching, but it's Linux, so... Not quite there yet, but thinking about it.

That would take care of that problem for my users, but the problem remains on the other hubs to which I wish to remain connected to.

Assuming that users can notice the difference, each hub migrating to ADC would probably make it more likely for the others to do the migration as well (vs. if no one migrates)
maksis
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests