Obfuscating Files

Add your feature request here

Obfuscating Files

Postby lyinggod » 29 Aug 2018, 11:59

The ability to hide or prevent files from being included in a requested filelist without removing them from share. Sometimes corrupt files are downloaded. If the file is deleted, then it might be downloaded again in the quest for a functional copy. By using a "don't share" feature that simply hides files or folders in a fashion similar to skiplist, the files are retained in the Hashfile but not shared with the file list. This prevents others from getting a corrupt file and prevents the users client (you) from downloading that specific file again if "dont download if already in share" is enabled. Currently the skiplist function, as I understand it, completely removes the file from the hashfile which means the file may be inadvertently downloaded again and again and again as it is found to be the same corrupt file and deleted again and again and again...
lyinggod

Re: Obfuscating Files

Postby maksis » 30 Aug 2018, 17:43

How often do you get corrupted files? Is it not possible to replace them with valid ones as soon as you notice that they are corrupted?
maksis
Site Admin

Postby lyinggod » 02 Sep 2018, 05:08

Corrupted files are actually not that common but when I am tracking down a long out of print book that was scanned 15+ years ago, I download all the hits I find (if I am lucky enough to get any) and then look through them for best quality or with minimum required legibility. Many of these books are graphic scans and were originally very large. In the days of slow internet and low disc space, it was not uncommon to put excessive compression on these PDFs to keep the size small. If the scans are all poor (or overly compressed) or corrupted then if I save the file I know that AirDC wont download it again. If the bad files are in my share then I am contributing to the problem if others download the file. Its not about cheating the system by pulling shenanigans with my share, its about not distributing really poor quality or corrupt files to others.
lyinggod

Postby maksis » 02 Sep 2018, 10:17

I see. I won't give any promises, but if there are other people reading this topic that are interested in the same features, please post a comment.
maksis
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests