Upload causes drastic drop in download speed

If you got some trouble or need help configuring AirDC++, we're here to help

Upload causes drastic drop in download speed

Postby unskin » 12 Nov 2008, 18:36

Ok, I know that having an asymmetrical DSL connection will cause a drop in dl speed when uploading, but this is just ridiculous. For the past ~two weeks when uploading at full capacity, all my downloads will drop to 13-14 KiB/s no matter what speed I was having prior to uploading (if it was more than 14 KiB/s obviously). So let's say I download from someone with a 100 Mbit connection; Personally I have a ~5/0,5 Mbit connection, so it's safe to say I should be able to get good speed from him/her. But as soon as I upload at full capacity of what my connection will allow (judging from the logs this is approximately 51-52 KiB/s) my download(s) will be 13-14 KiB/s. That means a drop of over 90% when downloading at 400 KiB/s, 300 KiB/s (you get my point) and if uploading to two persons the download speed will be 6-7 KiB/s! But this doesn't just happen when I get good speed, this also happens when I only get 30-40-50 KiB/s, those downloads will also drop to 13-14. This simply doesn't make any sense, because when I upload to any filehosting site, IRC send, FTP - anything but DC - this doesn't happen. When uploading to anywhere else, my download will drop to about 190 KiB/s if my download speed is superior to that, and it most certainly will not drop if I'm downloading at 30-40-50 KiB/s. This problems seems to affect all clients of DC I have tried during these past few weeks, any suggestions of what I should do?
unskin

Re: Upload causes drastic drop in download speed

Postby KaKtuScAr » 12 Nov 2008, 18:41

i suggest you try a program called cfosspeed. it shapes/manages your bandwidth automatically, so that you can have near max download/upload simultaniously, and at the same time surf without lag. i'm very satisfied with it
KaKtuScAr

Postby unskin » 12 Nov 2008, 19:43

Ok, let's try that. How do I set it up properly?
unskin

Postby en_dator » 12 Nov 2008, 21:29

I'm on adsl too and yes, if I max out in one direction the other direction almost completely dies.
ÜndèrGrøund® Ñètwø®k - FlexHub - AirDC++
Because the world never was the same, and never will have been http://xkcd.com/394/
en_dator
Site Admin

Postby KaKtuScAr » 13 Nov 2008, 02:38

unskin wrote:Ok, let's try that. How do I set it up properly?

well you almost need not any configuring. just install it, restart, and you're ready to go. i didnt touch anything in its configuration
KaKtuScAr

Postby Yada » 13 Nov 2008, 14:44

cfosspeed is a great program.
I to have a ADSL connection and needed cfosspeed before with or without router.
But now i have changed my router to a OpenBSD server/router config and after that i don't need cfosspeed anymore.
Conclusion is that mainstream routers and windows can't handle asymmetric connections very well.
There might be some mainstream router out there thats capable to do decent traffic shaping.
Yada
Site Admin

Return to The Help Desk