Bad very BAD, gets back XP!!!

Ideas how to improve the site? Post them here

Bad very BAD, gets back XP!!!

Postby bnm » 03 Aug 2013, 15:59

for who:
* want have 100% compatible with this OS
* have OLD PC + low-power Laptops
* hi-power-laptops, but needer more power save or also want have 100% compatible with this OS

+You can use qemu or virtualbox...
bnm

Re: Bad very BAD, gets back XP!!!

Postby maksis » 03 Aug 2013, 17:27

You can use version 2.44 on XP and 2.45 will most likely to be released relatively soon in order to fix a few bugs. I haven't heard complaints from any other XP users about the new release policy so seems that demand is very low.
maksis
Site Admin

Postby bnm » 04 Aug 2013, 20:52

1) You not hear me...
2) Even 2.50 - contain many BUGfixes...
3) For exmple: Gets your 2.44 and compared to my old 2.30 - it with small, but sensetive, lags in UI... (on 3GHz cpu...). Also crush on FindFile with .avi text... (at peaktime)
Last edited by bnm on 04 Aug 2013, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
bnm

Postby maksis » 04 Aug 2013, 21:03

Every major release contains bug fixes but you just have to stop the support at some point. Many fixes are too complicated to port for older versions.

I'm not aware of any performance issues on 2.44 compared to 2.30. 2.50 is faster for sure but that's also because it takes advantage of Windows features that didn't exist in XP.
maksis
Site Admin

Postby Absolon » 04 Aug 2013, 21:03

I think XP should be dropped. It's time to upgrade your system and devs should be able to concentrate on the current platforms, that includes Windows 7, 8 (and soon 8.1), not 10 year old ones. It's a waste of valuable time.
Absolon

Postby bnm » 04 Aug 2013, 21:10

15 years :)

&

I am, also:

* want have all XP-aps will be 100% compatible with used OS...
bnm

Postby Absolon » 04 Aug 2013, 21:18

Ok, 15 years makes it even worse.

There has been quite a lot of changes and a totally difference structure of how to code in Windows just as Maksis said. Somewhere in time you have to say stop to an old platform. Many programs have dropped XP just because of those big differences and since this is a project made by enthusiasts I rather have better versions of 2.5x and beyond then wasting their valuable time on the up keeping of old releases.

So, time to buy some new hardware, bnm ;)
Absolon

Postby bnm » 04 Aug 2013, 21:57

But ...I am already have nearly-NEWest hardware, as and told early!
bnm

Postby maksis » 04 Aug 2013, 22:23

Windows 8 shouldn't be worse in terms of performance
maksis
Site Admin

Postby Absolon » 04 Aug 2013, 23:10

7 and 8 is not much different when it comes to performance no. The only thing is the irritating Metro-interface and no Aero, but if you can live with not having the windows transparent while you move them (wow) then you can just use a Start-meny replacer and run it without much difference. But running XP on a new machine is a real waste of potential.
Absolon

Postby bnm » 05 Aug 2013, 10:14

REPLY!!!: [I am,also:] * want have all XP-aps will be 100% compatible with used OS...

PS:
This is VERY BIG nuber old apps, and firstly - games, not compatible [easy] with Vista+, and more 8.
PS:
Also XP compatible with earler OS'es, and apps for it,
for ex: win9x line, even with DOS!
(ex - popular DOS - hex editors(used usually for localisation) Hiew and Qiew becouse it more advanced then WinHex &ets, and also games [some time with hacks] - if presented w/o ports to win[Vista] or not work'ed [well] in DOSBOX).

PS:
"No more support for Windows XP/2003. Approximately 10% of all AirDC++ users are currently using Windows XP/2003." - This is maybe not 100% true, becouse even if you calcelate by [auto]Update request - it needed be calc'ed by country, or even per city ... For example, in city more low priced PC's, in countryside - more price (andf older or lower-power new PC's), and finally in very alone placed village - even MORE. And in city - more w7, in countryside - more XP and present 7, but in alone placed village - XP (if not 98/95).
Many peoples even not needed for update it OS(&more - buy+other apps for it),
for some time email/icq only + download film. And it will not be update - just because YOU want it for THEM...

"Dropping the support will also enable using technologies that are only supported by the modern operating systems and and also to improve the general performance." - this is 100% lie...

PS:
And, break support for old OS'es - you piar new MS productuion (not only OS) freely... Then next, again,again,...
bnm

Postby maksis » 05 Aug 2013, 11:34

Maybe you should run XP in a virtual machine? If the apps won't be updated to support newer operating systems, you'll be stuck with XP forever and lose the new software.
maksis
Site Admin

Postby bnm » 05 Aug 2013, 11:40

>> "Maybe you should run XP in a virtual machine?"
Sanks!
Virtual machine for every day usage?...
And from what time in it - full 3D-accelerate...
Simple use WINE in linux... (and eikasatdc...)

PS:
Not orient - on me(only),
I am use at one time - 2...3(three) different client, and have more on hdd...
bnm

Postby Absolon » 05 Aug 2013, 17:08

Many use virtual machines to emulate older software. Since this is a project based on voluntary work of people who divide their time without getting paid I think that "wanting" is quite a strong word here. To use your own argument, why should the dev spend time on 10% of the users when 90% of the users are using modern systems and rather want to have new, innovative features that makes this client even more awesome?

Since you have new hardware, as you wrote earlier, it's not big deal to use visualization since it's supported in both your CPU and motherboard. I use VMs for old systems and even DosBox for really old stuff. Since you have the hardware, why stick with something that is so archaic? What is the big deal? Vista was shitty but Win 7 is stable and workable and even Win 8 is not that bad if you mend it and there is quite a change when it comes to the way Windows work internally and that break was started with Vista.

I think that x86 is the next logical step to drop and concentrate on x64 since if you have hardware that is 5 years old you have a 64-bit system and by doing that the devs can concentrate even more on just one code and since, once again, this is a project made by enthusiasts that doesn't get paid for it I think we have a pretty good client, don't you think?

I "want" a v3.0 with blazing speed, shiny colors and at least a bit more, like x65 ;)
Absolon

Postby bnm » 05 Aug 2013, 17:44

You again "orient - on me(only)"...

>>"it's not big deal to use visualization since it's supported in both your CPU and motherboard."
VMs not good for many every-day-aspects. Its even not 100% compatible - but, I am(and many other peoles) "want have all XP-aps will be 100% compatible with used OS..."; best VMs - cant support even DX7 fully (old game aspect), it inadecvatelly large on disk(- wo really bonus), stupid view, ets.

I am(and mamy other) even big enought for Vista+ facked OS, even when want use DX10-11
- will be not use all this."
Moreover those who have no opportunity to go... (also and I am, becouse have more than one PC)

"I think we have a pretty good client, don't you think?"
If it will not run on my OS'es - what do you think?...
bnm

Postby Absolon » 05 Aug 2013, 18:38

"I think we have a pretty good client, don't you think?"
If it will not run on my OS'es - what do you think?...

I think that you should use an old client, use the new one, change the client and shut the fuck up. Else I can give you an account number and I can BILL you for coding time. What do you think?
Absolon

Postby maksis » 05 Aug 2013, 18:45

Seems that the discussion isn't going any further so I think it's time to lock this topic...
maksis
Site Admin

Bad very BAD, gets back XP!!! (continue)

Postby bnm » 08 Aug 2013, 10:16

"Seems that the discussion isn't going any further so I think it's time to lock this topic..."
- dispersed, how about - I say(Absolon)?...

Absolon, "What do you think?"
Think? You a discourteous down...
bnm

Re: Bad very BAD, gets back XP!!! (continue)

Postby bnm » 08 Aug 2013, 10:22

maksis,
Please move this topick to 1st, else lock - also this, else remove 1st.
bnm

Re: Bad very BAD, gets back XP!!! (continue)

Postby maksis » 08 Aug 2013, 20:13

If you have something to say to Absolon, please use the private message function
maksis
Site Admin

Return to Site suggestions